*This recipe makes 16 individual borekitas
Required Kitchen Tools
- Baking paper
- Rolling pin
- Baking tray
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Small brush
- Espresso cup (or similar small-sized cup)
Ingredients for The Dough
½ cup oil
¼ cup water
½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
1½ tbsp sugar
Half pinch salt
1+ ¾ cup of white all-purpose flour
1 egg to brush
Optional for sprinkling on top: Pinch of demerara sugar, sesame seeds, poppy seeds
Vegan alternative to egg: apple sauce, tahini, soy milk
Ingredients for The Potato and Cheese filling
2 baked potatoes
*** This should be done prior to the class – Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place thick
sea salt in a pan. Put the potatoes over the salt, making sure they’re not touching each other and bake for an hour.
3.5 oz of feta cheese (¼ cup)
3.5 oz of parmesan cheese (¼ cup)
Step 1: *Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes
Step 2: The Dough
- Mix the liquids and the sugar and add ½ cup of flour until the mixture is mud-like.
- Gradually add the rest of the flour slowly by kneading the dough.The texture should become elastic and silky.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator to rest.
Step 3: Shaping the Dough
- Stretch the dough onto the table with the help of the rolling pin.
- Use an espresso cup to cut into small round shapes.
- Fill the dough rounds with the potato/cheese mixture, and close it.
- Use a toothpick to make a roll under the pastry.
Step 4: The Finishing Touches
- Brush the eggs or the vegan alternative on the top of the dough and sprinkle sesame seeds (or other options).
- Bake the pastries in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes until it is golden on top and light brown on the bottom.
- If needed, continue to bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Once you have removed the borekitas from the oven, brush the egg wash over the borekitas while they are still hot and sprinkle with your choice of topping.